Cala Vedella was considered one of the most important coves of the west coast of Ibiza, was known as a “port” for its wide entrance and because it is a protected corner where they could anchor coastal vessels. Also we know that in XIX century, there was a drinking water source (therefore it was already an attractive place!).
In the description given by the Archduke Luis Salvador (1867), he emphasized the importance of Cala Vedella in the west, as one of the starting point of the agricultural and forestry production.
It is possible that by the end of 1800 and beginning of 1900 demand, production, and trading of charcoal for domestic fuel, was attractive enough to motivate the construction of a small cottage (Sa Casa des Carbo) to facilitate charcoal trading that was produced around Cala Vedella.
Just as was done with other products, once the locals had produced charcoal they picked it up from the traditional earth kilns for charcoal made around the forest to the coast, and from there they transported it in small rowing boats to another one larger (a sailboat) than would be responsible for transportation towards the island’s capital.
This cottage (Casa des Carbó) was also a place where local people met to celebrate local parties (photo, upstairs +/- 1954):